Italian Sculpture in Polychrome Ceramics by G Ronzan 1945s
Giovanni Ronzan, founder of the activity, was born on 24.9.1906, in a small town in the Vicenza area, Le Nove di Bassano del Grappa, cradle of Venetian ceramics and, following the death of his father during the First World War, became very soon the head of a family of two other brothers and three sisters.
He started working very young at the Bonato di Bassano ceramics firm and, after attending the professional sculpture courses at the Technical Institute of Nove, he went to Milan, where he started working as a ceramist at the Fabris porcelain factory. The turnaround will be in Turin where he will be able to work at the Lenci company.
In 1939, after leaving the company Lenci with his brothers Antonio and Giuseppe, he founded the "Ronzan" artistic ceramics factory based in Turin. In 1942, due to the war he decided to transfer production from Turin to Bassano del Grappa, considering this place to be safer. Among the collaborators of the early forties production, the decorator Rosa Seglie appears, whose ceramics, in addition to the manufacturing brand, bear her initials RS. In 1949 Giovanni left the factory to his brothers and to the trainer Cecchetto and moved to Turin where he founded the "Original Ceramics of Giovanni Ronzan" while the Bassano headquarters changed its name into "Ceramiche Ronzan e Cecchetto" and then into "Ronzan e Figlio" ". In 1968 Antonio leaves the Bassano headquarters and moves to Turin where he takes over the reins of the Giovanni factory, leaving the management of the Bassano factory to Giuseppe and his son Renato, who keeps production until 1996. The production, of good quality technical and formal and which is a good commercial success, is made up of pottery in modern style: vases, statuettes, plates and decorative tiles but above all by ornaments of sacred and religious subject. The production of the manufacture continues, at the Bassano headquarters, by the son of Giuseppe, Renato, until 1996 and at the Turin headquarters, by the sons of Antonio, Giuditta and Pietro, until 2001.